Friday, March 1, 2013

Sewing and Stitchery Expo

Here is one of the blogs about the Sewing and Stitchery Expo.  This might give some flavor of what goes on.  This is said to be the "largest sewing party in America".  I don't know if that's exactly true, but I do know it is huge.  Over the course of 4 days there are about 15,000 attendees.  There are classes from easy to quite challenging, there are 45 minute "infomercials", there are lots and lots of free style shows, sewing and quilting, machines and almost every tool you can think of.  You are, of course, also tempted with lots and lots of fabric for sale, as well as yarns.   I had a most interesting and fun day.

[Only a few photos, so check out the link above.]  I don't know how long Expo has been going on (how many years) but I think it is something like more than 30 years?  It is a very long-standing event in the pacific northwest.  One always should begin their day with a stop at the Scone wagon.  Fisher Flour Mills has been baking and selling scones at the Expo (and other events) for years, so it is quite a traditional way to begin one's day.

I do think they are getting smaller, but they are still tasty, warm from the ovens and topped with raspberry jam.

Quilt friend Ronda and I spent the morning wandering around the various exhibitions and booths selling everything you could imagine and a few things more.  I cannot show you everything I bought (gifts, you know) but I did find a clover rotary blade - which I needed, and they gave away a free measuring tape.


We brought a brown-bag lunch and then took 3 classes.  The first was a class on tips for binding, by Marci Baker.  This is a u-tube about her technique. www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGNcDoI-R8 .

 I cannot seem to get Italics to turn OFF.
She was able to produce bindings as narrow as 1/16 inch.  Then we went to a class by Marti Michell about all the rulers and tools she has for making scrap quilts.  It was really a great quilt show.  We didn't really learn anything about technique but saw some marvelous quilts.  I love her work.  Lastly we headed to a class by a Canadia named Cindy Rowell.  It was called Quick Gifts from your Scrap Stash.  She was delightful, but I'm not sure I would make any of the things she showed us.  Again, not much technique but lots of show and tell.  So that was fun.
Here we are lining up to get in the door.  All three of these classrooms seemed to be full.  It was a fun day, but now I'm really tired.

Oh yes, anyone know about E6000 glue?  I heard it mentioned today and don't know about it.
 

1 comment: